When making a significant purchase, few people would buy the product without seeing how it works, ensuring it fits and developing a full understanding of its functions. The hearing aid evaluation and fitting is the opportunity to make sure your investment is everything you expect out of it. During this one-to-two hour appointment, the Arkansas Professional Hearing Care audiologist works closely with you to ensure the hearing aid is tuned to your exact hearing loss needs.
What to expect
It is essential to give yourself time and space during your hearing aid fitting. Remember, this is an important appointment. During this appointment, which can last between one and two hours, you and your audiologist will work together to:
- Ensure your new hearing aids fit comfortably
- Tune your hearing aids to correctly
- Make sure your devices are suited to your liking
- Ensure you’re confident knowing how to work and use your new devices.
At the end of the hearing aid fitting, you will learn how to:
- Turn your hearing aid on
- Turn your hearing aid off
- Insert the battery
- Take the battery out
- Replace the battery
- Test the battery for strength
- Properly store the battery
- Properly clean the battery
Often, you will learn a lot of information during this appointment. As such, you may want to bring a friend or family member who can take any notes for you.
How to prepare
Because the appointment can be lengthy and because there will be a lot of material to cover, we recommend preparing for your appointment ahead of time by:
- Writing down any questions you have.
- Bringing a friend or family member to the appointment with you. Make sure to invite them to your appointment beforehand.
- Check in with your insurance provider to see if any costs might be covered.
The hearing aid fitting will be an exciting time for you because it’s a start to your new hearing health journey. Make sure you talk to your audiologist about any questions or concerns you may have. In the weeks following, your audiologist will also schedule a follow-up appointment with you to ensure your devices are working as planned and to make any minor adjustments you may want.